- The NBA team located in the city of Cleveland is called the Cleveland Cavaliers, not the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers did not win the Finals last year. Actually, that was a team called the Dallas Mavericks. They play in Dallas, which is in Texas, which is pretty far away from Cleveland, which is in Ohio.
- In fact, the Cleveland Cavaliers had a pretty rough year last season. They actually finished with the second worst record in the league after a pretty heart-breaking and difficult to watch 82 game season.
- That said, they did win the draft lottery and drafted this awesome kid named Kyrie Irving who’s pretty awesome. He’s so awesome that he was actually the Rookie of the Year and had a Rookie season that was pretty much unparalleled by all but the absolute best of the best.
- It’s actually very easy to watch Kyrie Irving and the Cavaliers play basketball! You can easily purchase tickets online through the Cavaliers website or, if you live or work downtown, you can simply walk up to the box office and purchase them there. If you feel like staying in, you can also watch them from your own home if you have Fox Sports Ohio, or go to a neighborhood bar. They’ll turn the game on if you ask, if it’s not already playing. If you don’t live in Cleveland, you can easily watch the Cavaliers on NBA League Pass, which is quite affordable if you stream the games to your computer through NBA League Pass Broadband.
- Even better, you can buy Cavaliers T-Shirts! Many NBA teams sell merchandise, not just the Dallas Mavericks or Oklahoma City Thunder. There’s actually an NBA team in your own backyard that you can root for!
- Unfortunately, if you’re one of the many people that bought a Dallas Mavaliers or OKCLE Thunder T-Shirt, I hate to break it to you, but that’s a bootleg T-Shirt. Those teams don’t actually exist.
- The reason the Cavaliers had such a bad season was because their previous star player, a guy by the name of LeBron James, chose to exercise his free agency rights and left to join another team. Namely, he joined the Miami Heat to play with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.
- Now, while players use their free agency right all the time, LeBron did go about his in a pretty jerky way, by announcing it on primetime television, not informing his team-mates prior to his announcement, and then saying some pretty mean things about the city of Cleveland in later interviews. He also left a really good team, threw his teammates under the bus and went against a promise he made against the fans. I watched it live. I know how it felt. It really sucked.
- Because of that, it’s fair to say that LeBron James is kind of an asshole.
- Because he’s such an asshole, it’s totally understandable to not like the guy, despite what other people who write for other websites or guys on TV might say. It’s actually totally understandable to get annoyed by those guys too and to not really like them. To be perfectly honest, I don’t like any of them either.
- But I do really like the Cavaliers! And because of that, I think it’s kind of sad that more people hate LeBron James than like the Cavaliers.
- The Cavaliers have a really bright future. They also drafted this guy named Tristan Thompson who’s still raw, but shows signs that he could be really fun to watch in the future. They also have another high draft pick this year, which they can use to get another guy who could become a future All-Star. Things are really looking up for the team, very quickly into the rebuilding process. It’s really good!
- It’s also worth saying, that if the Cavaliers ever go on to win a championship, they’ll have to go through teams like the Chicago Bulls, the New York Knicks, the Indiana Pacers, the Boston Celtics or the Oklahoma City Thunder to do it, so it’s kind of weird to be rooting really passionately for these teams just because you want to watch someone lose.
- Also, LeBron James’ first name does not rhyme with any of the following words; bitch, brick, choke, fraud, fart. As such, making a joke where you refer to LeBron James as any combination of “Le” and those words make you appear to not understand the basics of language and puns. They’re also really played out jokes and aren’t funny any more. Therefore, you should probably reconsider making it. Please note that this also applies to any jokes about fourth quarters or anything involving the word “clutch”.
In Summation: It’s totally cool to not like LeBron James. I don’t. It’s also totally cool to hope that the Thunder win the Finals. I do. Nobody has the right to tell you how to feel or what to think, myself included. The point I’m trying to make is that the Cavaliers have a bright future and are the NBA team that represents the city of Cleveland. If you haven’t watched any basketball up until the last three Heat series or own more OKCLE and Mavaliers shirts than you do Cavs shirts, you might want to reconsider your priorities. Taking so much pleasure in the failure of others is pretty sad, no matter how big of an asshole that person may be, especially when there’s a promising young team right in your backyard that needs your support.
Please go cheer for that team. Even if it’s with half the intensity at which you cheer against LeBron, that team needs it. Thank you.